Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trick or Treat? Treat or Trick?

Happy Halloween!

As I was thinking about my blog post for the day I found it so fitting that the saying "Trick or Treat" seemed to fit so well. You see, I have a love/hate relationship with Butterfly Girl's therapy. I know she needs it. I know that its good for her. I know that it will help her grow stronger and stronger. I know all these things. I just hate what they always have to say. See it goes like this; They tell me all the good or "treat" things that our sweet baby girl does. Today for example, they liked that when she was seeing it was across all lines of vision. They also liked that she when she wasn't seeing if she dropped a toy, she knew the general area that she dropped it and could find her way back to it. The liked that she was now banging things together and making more eye contact during those seeing times. They had so many good things to say. They commented on how much work I do advocating for her. They remarked on how well we have daughter her to keep her glasses on. They couldn't say enough good things. My feelings were overwhelmed with joy. I was extremely happy.

Then came the bad or "trick" part of our session. I was reminded again that my daughter was behind. That her blindness and low vision has delayed her skills. I was also told that the fact her prescription has changed so much already that it is a cause for concern. I was told that she should be doing more talking. That she needs to be making even more eye contact during those times she is seeing. That we still need to work on her find motor skills. We also need to help her starting feeling her way around our house. How dare we not be doing that already!

Once again we were handed a list of activities to do with Butterfly Girl so that she can hopefully get caught up to speed. We have more appointments to schedule. More therapists to see. You can't be to busy now! I cried. I will admit I cried a lot. I just want this perfect, cute, happy baby! I just want everything to go excellent for once. I wish I could have just ONE appointment with our sweet baby girl and it would just go swimmingly. I wish I could stop getting the "Trick or Treats" at each appointment.

On another note, we had a fantastic Halloween. We hope that you did also. We headed downtown got lots of candy. I had a bumble bee(butterfly girl), a horsey, a dragon, and a Princess. It was fun. Our kids then got to go hang out their adopted Grandpa and Grandma and had an extreme blast! I then joined the rest of the leaders for our Collide black out event which was AMAZING!! So glad that we could have a great night. We also hope you had a safe, fun filled event.

No comments:

Post a Comment